Welcome!

Koreaboo.com breaking kpop celebrity gossip & korean news portal.

EDITORIAL: Thoughts behind the extortion and rape accusations towards Co-ed's Kangho

Submitted: Nov 06 2010 10:00 AM by StellarEffect

UPDATE: Agency clears 'rape-dol' rumours as accuser admits lie.

Kang Ho of Co-ed is in deep waters right now. The gravity of a rape claim isn’t exactly a light issue, but the situation has turned even more suspicious after a second allegation has come out. The public simply will not be able to let this blow over until the truth reveals itself and the victim (whoever it may be) receives justice.

As much interest as the scandal is garnering in and of itself, I find the reaction of the general public to be of equal interest. It seems that when any scandal of this magnitude breaks out, the immediate response of the public is to side with the idol. On one hand, I’m not at all shocked. The sad truth is that Koreans are completely unsurprised that someone might try to use a means like this to ruin an idol’s career. The anti-culture in Korea is, well, crazy and let’s just say... a force to be reckoned with. There are probably few other countries that terrorize their celebrities in the same way that this country does. I won’t say this isn’t a perplexing phenomenon, but it’s probably a whole separate issue to be talked about.

I do get it. I understand where the skepticism comes from and why people feel inclined to be dubious about anything netizens have to say, but I am also going to go ahead and say that this is absolutely not a reason to discredit what the alleged victim is saying. It is not okay to try to silence and minimize someone just because of your entrenched bias.

Comments like this leave me enraged: “Even if Kangho oppa really did rape someone just think of it as a young boy’s immature curiosity and keep supporting him and remind him that we’re here for him.” I guess I’d like to pose the question: If this happened to your sibling or perhaps your closest friend, would you tell them the same thing? How can behavior like this be excused by saying someone was too young or naive to understand the implications of their actions? Rape can be one of the most traumatizing experiences that a person goes through. Even if a person is able to recover from the trauma, they will never forget that it happened because of the imprint it leaves on their life. Senseless comments like these are not only insensitive but insulting to every rape victim and every person who has ever been victimized.

What I am pleading for right now is to be fair to both sides. At this point, it would probably be better to reserve your judgment until a full investigation is carried out. With such minimal information available, both sides, including the one that doesn’t support what you believe, deserve the benefit of the doubt.

EDITORIALS on Koreaboo.com reflect the opinion of individual Koreaboo writers and not of Koreaboo.com as a whole. Please refer to the article written on Co-Ed's Kangho for more information.

Like this story? Want Koreaboo to run more editorials? Send us a story to write about to jenny@koreaboo.com

Join the discussion

• Mimi 353 Points

I'm staying neutral until both sides have spoken up and given their views on this allegation. I firmly believe he's innocent until proven guilty, though it irks me because no one (in the right mind) would make up rape stories.

Though on a more serious level, I agree with you on the fact that saying Oppa didn't mean it and it was his, "immature curiosity" is never the right excuse. Especially rape.

06 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

• Sophiax27 75 Points

I actually kind of tilted toward the side....I knew that it was possible for them to be trying to ruin the guy's rep, but it seemed pretty truthful.

Yeah I dunno...let's wait for more information

06 November 2010 - 05:03 AM

• TanyaSaidWhat 317 Points

I'm neutral until companies actually start talking, if they ever do.

06 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

• toffeetama 40 Points

I honestly, don't side with either parties. It isn't surprising for peopel to accuse idols of things. But when two people share their story..? How can you just side with your idol over something that serious? You can never just say "Oh it was his immaturity, let's forgive him." Rape is something serious. If that type of action were to be sided with and forgiven, does that mean all teens that rape others should be forgiven?That's ridiculous.

06 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

• Bubba 609 Points

Good editorial.

06 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

• Eternita 80 Points

I agree with yuu 100% (> . <)

06 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

• Hal_33 238 Points

Good article! I totally agree with you!

06 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

• steaming_greentea 2 Points

i am incredibly disturbed by the korean fan's reactions. how can they say rape is an act of curiousity and immaturity??? where are these netizens' morals? these reactions confuse me as to how they differ ridiculously from the Jaebeom-2PM issue. how can they support kangho, when co-ed hasn't even reached their height of popularity yet? why were they so disgusted with jay's past comments? seriously, these accusations may seem a tad far fetched, but i don't see the reason for a girl to try to make up a story just to scoop up dirt on some idol member who isn't even that popular. i'm not siding with anyone, but if these allegations are true, i hope kangho will get kicked out of co-ed and serve some time in jail.

06 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

• Nina XD 4 Points

Good article! Yeah. When I saw the fan's comment, I was like "What if that happened to one of your friends or a younger sister? -_-" I get why they're protecting Kangho, but I don't think that a fan should support him if he DID rape the girl. I'm staying neutral right now, so for me, he's still innocent. But if they prove that he is a rapist, then goodbye K-Pop world for him.

06 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

• kelela 82 Points

I appreciate this kind of article. Something that has an opinion, but has common sense added. We cannot possibly know what is going on in either of their shoes. I just hope that this shows that it is OK for victims to speak out no matter who the accused it.

06 November 2010 - 11:11 PM