BigHit Cancels BTS’ Collaboration With Yasushi Akimoto
Korean ARMYs have been requesting that BigHit Entertainment cancel BTS‘ collaboration with Yasushi Akimoto in their upcoming Japanese album due to the producer’s alleged ties to right-wing policies and groups that take pride in Japan’s imperial era.
In response to their requests, BigHit Entertainment released a statement through the official fan cafe stating that changes will be made to BTS’ upcoming Japanese single.
“The new track in the Japanese single album, which is scheduled to be released in November, has been changed due to reasons related to the production. We apologize for the inconvenience.”
— BigHit Entertainment
According to the announcement, the track “Bird” will be replaced by remix versions of “IDOL” and “FAKE LOVE”.
This is Big Hit Entertainment.
We inform you regarding the Japanese single album.
The new track in the Japanese single album, which is scheduled to be released in November, has been changed due to reasons related to the production. We apologize for the inconvenience.
2. FAKE LOVE – Japanese ver.
3. Airplane pt. 2 – Japanese ver.
1. FAKE LOVE – Japanese ver.
2. Airplane pt. 2 – Japanese ver.
3. IDOL (Remix)
4. FAKE LOVE – Japanese ver. (Remix)
— BigHit Entertainment
Korean netizens have been expressing their relief after seeing the announcement and praised ARMYs for their efforts.
- “Wow, they really made it happen. It’s such a relief. ARMYs are amazing, you did wellㅜㅜ”
- “Nice job ARMYs”
- “What a relief. I was really curious about the song ‘bird’ and was looking forward to the quality but collaborating with that kind of writer really didn’t seem like a good idea. It’s unfortunate, but I think it was the right choice”
- “ARMYs are truly amazing. This made me realize once again that they’re a pretty awesome fandom. Like the artist, their fandom has great character as well”
Meanwhile, some international fans have expressed their disappointed with the news. Many were really looking forward to the new song, “Bird”.
I really hate that big hit & BTS had to remove bird from their japan album because crazy ass fans who think they can control them. Im tired of these damn fans bro. Like no western artist ever had to worry about that. They do what they want. I really feel bad for BTS
— Te'a| Tèa| Taeya 🖤 (@JPTeajimin) September 16, 2018
Although the issue has been dealt with. But I don't know, there's a very big part of me that wanted to hear "Bird" I feel like this song is about freedom, peace, love. Like it will be a very inspirational song and I feel like this could really hit big?
— Kreuz ミシェル (💜テテ💜) (@kreuz01_TaeTae) September 16, 2018
k-armys what u did?????????
bird it's a such waste of work by our boys
they dedicated all their talent on this music, to final you come make big hit give up of this work just because a foolish war between countries
— lailes (@ONEBL1NK) September 17, 2018
Nonetheless, a new album from BTS is a blessing to all ARMYs, and perhaps BigHit has other plans for “Bird” in the future!