15 K-Pop Facts That Sound Incredibly Fake, But Are 100% True
1. SHINee’s Minho upstaged Melania Trump at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
These students were excited to meet the first lady of the United States…until they realized who was standing beside her!
2. The members of FIN.KL were featured as playable characters in the Korean PC version of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2.
Yes, this means you can skate around as Lee Hyori!
3. Super Junior debuted in 2005, when NCT’s maknae, Jisung, was just three years old
Who could have known that they would one day be labelmates!
4. HYOLYN performed with Stevie Wonder
K-Pop artists have done numerous collabs with western artists, but this one might still come as a sursprise.
5. TWICE’s Mina was born in the USA
Ohhh Mina holds an american passport! pic.twitter.com/g94XArz5r5
— dar 💚 SWITCH IT UP 🔥 (@0430darlene) July 30, 2016
This Japanese member was born in Texas, and moved to Japan at a very young age. She holds dual citizenship.
6. The Wonder Girls opened for the Jonas Brothers in 2009
7. Crayon Pop toured with Lady Gaga
8. In the original version of 2NE1’s “Hate You”, the words “hate you” were actually “f**k you”.
9. 2NE1’s Minzy is only one year older than BLACKPINK’s oldest member, Jisoo
2NE1 is one of the most legendary girl groups of all time, so it seems like they’ve been around since the dawn of K-Pop. That’s why it’s a little hard to believe that 2NE1’s 94-liner is only a year older than BLACKPINK‘s 95-liner!
10. Elon Musk tweets about LOONA
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 4, 2018
This business magnate is apparently a LOONA stan! It also helps that his girlfriend, Canadian singer Grimes, is a huge LOONA fan! So much that Gowon is actually considered Elon Musk and Grimes’ daughter’s godmother!
11. Wonder Girls and J.Y. Park starred together in a Nickelodeon movie
12. Former U.S. president Barack Obama is a Shawol
Well, sort of. Barack Obama may not be fully into the SHINee fandom (yet), but he did mention the group during his talk at the Asian Leadership Conference in 2017.
13. SISTAR made a really dark music video with Italian singer Giorgio Moroder
The music video for “One More Day” features a bisexual love triangle, domestic abuse, and revenge murder.
14. TVXQ! had some really weird predebut names
One of their previous names, “The Five Visceras”, refers to five internal organs. That’s not exactly appealing. “Whale That Eats Legends” doesn’t roll off the tongue either!
15. One of K-Pop’s founders was originally a member of a heavy metal band.
Seo Taiji is largely responsible for kicking off modern K-Pop, but before he joined Seo Taiji and the Boys, he was the bassist for the heavy metal band Sinawe.