The K-Pop we know today emerged in the 1990s, aka the golden age of girl bands and boy bands. Since then, dozens of talented K-Pop groups have debuted and made their mark, but very few have risen right to the top. Here are the best-selling boy groups and girl groups for each generation.
1. 1st Generation Girl Group: S.E.S (3.6 million)
2. 1st Generation Boy Group: Seo Taiji and Boys (8 million)
3. 2nd Generation Girl Group: Girls’ Generation (5.3 million)
4. 2nd Generation Boy Group: TVXQ! (12 million)
5. 3rd Generation Girl Group: TWICE (5.6 million)
In addition to being the top-selling girl group of their generation, TWICE is also the best-selling K-Pop girl group of all time!
6. 3rd Generation Boy Group: BTS (16 million)
Not only is BTS the best-selling 3rd generation boy group, they are the best-selling K-Pop group in the history of K-Pop, surpassing the previous title holders, TVXQ!, by 4 million!
7. 4th Generation Girl Group: IZ*ONE (700,000)