YG Entertainment will be launching a new survival program featuring female YG trainees that will select the members of the next YG girl group. The program is scheduled to be launch by the end of this year.
The survival program will be directed by PD Go Ik Jo, who was also in charge of programs such as Show Me The Money, High School Rapper and Unpretty Rapstar.
Contestants will include not only trainees from YG Entertainment, but also trainees from its sub-label, The Black Label, which is headed by Teddy.
Meanwhile, Korean netizens are furious about this upcoming program as they expressed their disapproval of YG Entertainment’s choices. They claimed YG was already “abandoning” BLACKPINK.
- “Why don’t you just focus more on BLACKPINK. They’re growing so fast that it wouldn’t be an understatement to call them YG’s next BIGBANG so why try to split the fandom? We need to gather a larger fandom but the CEO is preventing this from happening”
- “Since Produce just finished it’s probably a good idea to do another survival program right after right…Why has he become so dull”
- “So when is BLACKPINK making a comeback…like a year later?”
- “Now that BLACKPINK isn’t making as money as you expected, are you abandoning them? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ What is this”
- “Just stop…Do you wanna be in debt again”
- “Yang Hyun Suk must be a survival program addict”
Many have also mentioned the program MIXNINE, which failed to debut the final contestants.
Netizens were skeptical of Yang Hyun Suk’s capabilities after he changed the contractual agreements of the final contestants only to eventually cancel the group’s debut.
- “If this is what you were planning to do, why did you mess around with the MIXNINE trainees ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I feel so bad for them ㅠㅠ You were bashed after MIXNINE was canceled but here you go again ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Okay…ㅋㅋ”
- “Let us remember MIXNINE! (tsk tsk)”
- “Yea and if this doesn’t go well, he’ll probably do MIXNINE again”
- “Not paying attention anymore since MIXNINE”
As a response to the criticism, YG Entertainment explained that the survival show is merely in its planning stages and nothing has been confirmed so far.
“It’s only one of the ideas for programs that we’re drawing up. There’s nothing for us to announce yet.
We have a variety of programs that are in its planning stages. Nothing’s been confirmed yet.”
— YG Entertainment