Music tracking company Oricon has released a list of the top selling music in Japan for the first half of 2018 – and the list of top 10 songs by K-Pop girl groups in Japan is, perhaps unsurprisingly, dominated by TWICE!
The report tracks sales from December 12, 2017 to June 12, 2018 and ranks sales according to album, singles, DVD and digital tracks.
Of the top 10 Korean girl group albums, TWICE owns eight of the spots with their Japanese singles “Wake Me Up” and “Candy Pop” taking out number one and two respectively. Their 2017 and 2018 repackaged album, mini album, and special album placed third, forth, fifth and eighth, and Japanese single “One More Time” came in tenth.
Red Velvet took number seven with their Japanese mini-album “#Cookie Jar” selling 28,000 copies, and MOMOLAND‘s Japanese compliation album “MOMOLAND The Best” came in at ninth place with 25,000 copies sold.
Fans are celebrating the best way they know how.
Top 10 Album Solds by Kpop Girl Groups on Oricon
— ONCE 💗 🇲🇾 (@TwiceMalaysia_) July 26, 2018
— DORAMEIRO SEM TEMPO (@PGTwice2x) July 25, 2018
and the top 2 are singles…………. that impact!
— zia 💕 (@slaytozaki) July 25, 2018
- “Damn TWICE really just knew what to do and did THAT. Look at a 2016/2017 release still being in top 10! Also proud of Cookie Jar despite the really lack of promos smh Avex, I hope they release their first full Japanese album (bops) soon.”
- “Really impressed with some of those legacy sales. Good indication that they are still gaining new fans in Japan.”
- “8/10 in the list are just TWICE releases. Am I surprised? Lol nope!”
- “I’m lowkey proud of MMLD though, they really have a bright future ahead of them.”
- “Amazing to be honest. Really being embraced by Japan it seems. I mean 4 and 5 to be basically 2 Korean repacks is just so so pleasing to see Twice doing so well.”
Well done to all the girl groups slaying it in Japan!