Netizens discuss SM Entertainment’s unsuccessful girl group
As Girls’ Generation prepares for their end-of-summer comeback with a full studio album and title tracks “Lion Heart” and “You Think,” netizens started to talk about one of SM Entertainment‘s girl groups that some think were replaced by Girls’ Generation.
Girls’ Generation made their debut in 2007 with their track “Into The New World,” which instantly became a hit. However, “Into The New World” was originally supposed to be the title track of the 2nd album from Girls’ Generation’s sister group, MILK.
MILK, a group signed under SM Entertainment’s sister label, BM Entertainment, made their debut in 2001, releasing only one album, With Freshness, before disbanding in 2003. After disbanding, members Seo Hyun Jin and Park Hee Bon would go on to pursue their entertainment careers.
In addition to Girls’ Generation debuting with a song intended for MILK, netizens claim that Girls’ Generation’s fancafe, “Hwa Soo Eun Hwa,” was originally a fancafe for MILK.
Netizens also discussed the reasons they felt the group flopped, as well as other, not as successful, groups within SM Entertainment.
Check out what some of them have to say:
1. [+17,-6] CSJH never got popular either… Dana was marketed as the second BoA and all of CSJH’s members were talented ㅠㅠ
2. [+7,-0] When MILK disbanded, HOT had also disbanded. During this time, SM Entertainment’s stocks hit rock bottom, many workers left the company and left it struggling. There were others who debuted during that time, Black Beat and Shinvi, but they too, flopped. These groups weren’t meant to be discarded. SM Entertainment usually keeps investing in their groups, but that time they couldn’t. Seo Hyun Jin said she understood why MILK ended up disbanding. Eventually BoA made it big in Japan and saved SM Entertainment. That’s why Lee Soo Man treasures BoA so much.
3. [+4,-1] MILK and Sugar were rival groups ㅋㅋ I think MILK flopped more because SM kept promoting Goo Hee Bon
4. [+4, -0] Shinvi is even less known than MILK.ㅋㅋㅋ No one’s even heard of them ㅋㅋ
5. [+4,-0] Does anyone know Isak and Jiyeon? ㅋㅋ