Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, chances are you know who Kang Tae Oh is.
The once little-known actor has since become a household name among K-Drama fans, thanks to ENA‘s Extraordinary Attorney Woo. The drama’s success has catapulted Kang Tae Oh into one of Korea’s hottest actors at the moment.
Kang Tae Oh, who played paralegal Lee Jun Ho in the drama, had many memorable scenes in the drama. If you were to ask fans, however, many will say the most enduring scene is the one in which he and Woo Young Woo are in the office late.
In the scene, Woo Young Woo asks Kang Tae Oh’s character, Lee Jun Ho, if she could touch him so that she can be sure about her feelings for him. Lee Jun Ho responds to Woo Young Woo’s request in a manner that had fans blushing.
Do you have to touch me to be sure? Then does that mean your heart doesn’t beat faster when we aren’t touching? Even when we are together? How disappointing.
— Lee Jun Ho
Now here is some important context. The last line, “How disappointing,” has since gone viral and has become the hallmark line for the drama. Now, for some even more important context, “How disappointing” in Korean is pronounced “Sub-sub han daeyo?” With “Sub-sub” meaning disappointing.
The actor’s fans saw an opportunity with Subway that had substantial potential for going viral. Fans implored the sandwich franchise to use the actor in a commercial, and it worked!
On September 1, Subway revealed an almost two-minute-long commercial on their YouTube channel. The commercial shows Kang Tae Oh playing several characters, including Lee Jun Ho, who says the famous line in the commercial.
The video has since gone viral, racking up over 200K views in less than a day. Fans wrote their approval of the commercial in the comments section.
- “I can’t believe there are five Kang Tae Ohs! What an amazing commercial. I’d like to ask the people working at Subway, that made this happen, to which direction should I bow? Alright, Tae Oh, you acting genius, leave us with a lot of footage, even if they are commercials so that I can watch them while I wait for you.”
- “This commercial has the looks and the hype! Kang Tae Oh is so good at inventing characters. The only thing I am sad about is that this came out after you announced your enlistment date. Hurry up and come back!”
- “This Subway commercial is so charming! Kang Tae Oh is so cute! He has a unique charm!”
- “This is the best Subway commercial ever! It succeeded in bringing out the best of both Subway and the actor!”
- “This commercial hits different! I can’t believe we can see five versions of Kang Tae Oh. Why am I keep watching a commercial?”
- “This is the first time that I’ve watched the same commercial hundreds of times… Everything about the commercial is perfect! From now on, my lunch will always be Subway!”
Check out the commercial for yourself in the link below!