BLACKPINK Jennie‘s recent picture wearing an “exposing” outfit sparked a heated debate between Korean netizens.
Over the past year, Jennie has gained attention after her style and outfits have matured along with her, with many being seen as much sexier than what she would’ve worn in the early days after BLACKPINK debuted.
Yet, it seems like a recent photo of Jennie in an “exposing” outfit has sparked a heated debate online, with some netizens defending the idol.
Jennie has recently starred in the controversial HBO series The Idol, and her performance received attention after the idol went outside of her comfort zone in some sexy scenes.
After the show ended, co-star Troye Sivan shared a photo of Jennie and Lily-Rose Depp wearing the sexy outfits from the dance scene, which are very different from the outfits Jennie wears on stage as an idol.
When the photo was released, it gained mixed reactions from netizens. At first, a lot of the comments were criticizing the idol. While some just thought the outfit looked awful, others shared their shock at an idol wearing such an exposing outfit.
- Exposure is fine, she’s an adult, and it’s an outfit for a drama, but the clothes look like it was drawn with a 3D pen.
- Wow..up until now, I looked down on those trying to criticize her..but now I’m just shocked because I haven’t seen an idol that is actively promoting a show with that kind of exposure before.
While some of the comments seemed to attack Jennie for the “exposing” look, most comments, including those with the most reactions, supported Jennie. For many, they couldn’t understand why the idol was getting so much criticism, particularly because Lily-Rose Depp was also wearing it but not getting the same hate.
- Why are people criticizing her? Please tell me the reasoning behind it because I’m really curious. I mean, did she threaten you to wear that outfit? Or did she wear that outfit in a kid’s program? She wore an outfit given to her by stylists for a foreign drama. I don’t understand why you are bashing her.
- What did she do wrong? It must be because all these crazy older women bashing her are from when women with exposed skin were seen as huge sinners.
- But really, what did Jennie do wrong? She just wore the outfit given to her, and the other female cast Lily Depp even wore the same outfit. I don’t understand why Jennie is getting criticized. Why does she have to be criticized by you all for showing skin?
- Lily Depp wore the same outfit, though? She wore the outfit the staff gave her, and outfits like that aren’t even seen as too much exposure overseas. The U.S. isn’t old-fashioned when it comes to top exposure. I don’t get what’s so bad about her wearing an outfit just like the other actresses. If you’re uncomfortable, don’t watch it. I mean, look who’s paying to watch the drama to criticize it. Stop bothering Jennie.
The fact that K-Pop idols are seen as “role models” and netizens expect them to be perfect links to the criticism. Yet, fans realize that as idols mature, they need to be given the freedom to expand their horizons.
You can read more about the positive reactions to the picture from international fans below.