It was previously reported that EXO’s Sehun and Chanyeol would be joining a newly-established agency for their solo promotions.
Later on, SM Entertainment denied the reports.
The reports about Sehun and Chanyeol’s transfer to a new agency are not true. The contract signed at the end of 2022 between SM Entertainment and the EXO members is still in place, and EXO’s activities will continue with SM.
However, should a member wish to proceed with their individual activities while under exclusive contract with SM Entertainment, we conditionally allow that to occur through an agency that the individual idol establishes on their own.
— SM Entertainment
Netizens were supportive of the initial report, comparing the situation to the one of Girls’ Generation. Many of the members left the company to pursue solo activities, but still came under SM Entertainment for group activities. This is a common step for established groups with experience under their belt. After all, solo work is the next logical step for a celebrity as they move beyond their idol days.
- Isn’t this so beneficial for SM Entertainment???? The one leaving too is… LOL
- I think they’ll promote individually with their individual companies, but come together as a group once in a while, just like Girls’ Generation.
- I hope that EXO can continue promoting together.
- Since they now have experience, it’s better to push forth with their solo activities. How much longer will they be able to promote as EXO?
- Ah… LOL.
- Aren’t they just going to promote with their own companies for solo promotions, and with SM Entertainment for EXO promotions? Why are there so many angry people? As long as they came to a compromise, that’s that.
- Oh, they had a unit album, and if they’re even going to the same company, seems like they mesh well and are close-knit.
- Sehun, why.
- Gasp, what the.
- They’re adults, so they’ll make their own decisions. They’re not kids and they already earned more than regular folk, so they’ll take care of things themselves with each other… Would they do something that doesn’t benefit them? Everyone does what they can to earn more.
- Isn’t it just that they’ll promote as EXO in SM Entertainment, and solo promotions with another company? I think idols have been doing this these days anyway. What’s the problem?
Seems like most are supportive of Sehun and Chanyeol’s decision. As they move forward in their career, this seems like the best path for the two.