Netizens are criticizing Weverse for allegedly failing to protect idols using their platform amid controversy over fromis_9 Chaeyoung‘s tearful livestream.
Earlier, we reported that fromis_9’s Chaeyoung was brought to tears during her latest livestream.
On January 17, Chaeyoung held a livestream on Weverse’s streaming platform, during which one netizen started spewing disgusting comments at the idol and her fellow member Baek Jiheon. According to news reports, the netizen threw verbal assaults that were sexual in nature and even cursed at her parents.
Despite trying her hardest to ignore the comments, eventually, Chaeyoung was brought to tears and ended her livestream.
According to news reports, Weverse currently does not have a system in place to prevent netizens from writing malicious comments. According to the reports, comments need to be manually flagged after they are posted for them to be deleted.
News of this quickly went viral, with netizens demanding that the platform do more to protect the artists that use their platform.
🚨 Important Short Thread 🚨
to kpop fans especially those who stan idols who use Weverse
— fromLover_ (@fromLover_9) January 17, 2023
Weverse, a place where you can sexually harass and send death threats freely to the artists with no proper actions taken EVERY SINGLE TIME #너희도_공범이다_위버스 #하이브_방관은_그만
PROTECT FROMIS_9 pic.twitter.com/UkqCgurYev
— 용각산🍀🐼 (@syeoniee_124) January 16, 2023
Netizens have been so vocal that #너희도_공범이다_위버스, which translates to #Weverse_you_are_an_accomplice trended in Korea.
This is an interpretation for flover who is not good at Korean.
— 온리 (@azure025) January 16, 2023
it is ridiculous that a place that should be a positive community for the artists and their fans is not taking action against those who come and harass, belittle, and threaten those artists. PROTECT YOUR ARTISTS HYBE.#너희도_공범이다_위버스#하이브_방관은_그만 pic.twitter.com/2Xgz6GtmxQ
— emma 🍀 (@flovercarat) January 16, 2023
Netizens in online communities also expressed concerns and criticized the platform for its lack of preventative measures in place.
- “I was so shocked. I heard (fromis_9) received these comments often.”
- “Even Twitch has a way to ban users. Do (Weverse) not have it?”
- “If you become a fan of an idol who has a lot of crazy fans… seriously, I feel like I’m going crazy, so I stop being their fan, but the crazy fans remain all the way until the end.”
- “Users have been asking for years, but (Weverse) hasn’t improved at all. Instead, the level of comments is getting stronger. F@ck.”
- “This issue hits close to home. My idol is also on Weverse, so please do something quickly.”
- “Please, Weverse, do something.”
- “Ban those writing malicious comments in real-time. I’m sure there is a manager next to idols when they livestream. Wouldn’t giving them the power to ban commenters fix it?”
Weverse is a popular livestream platform used by many idols to communicate with fans. The platform is a subsidiary of HYBE. Weverse has yet to comment on the matter.