Koreans Are Divided Over Two Interpretations Of A Scene Between Ha Do Young And Moon Dong Eun In “The Glory”
The much-anticipated second season of Netflix hit The Glory is finally out. About a woman who grows up to take revenge on her cruel high-school bullies, season one ends with two men expressing their interest in the main character Moon Dong Eun.
The first was Joo Yeo Jeong, the kind-hearted sunbae who taught her how to play Go.
The second is the husband of her bully Yeon Jin, Ha Do Young. Although Dong Eun approached Ha Do Young intentionally, he grew intrigued by her situation.
During a poignant scene in season two, Ha Do Young seeks Dong Eun out after discovering the truth about his wife.
하도영 지금 문동은 계속 볼 명분 만들려고 박연진 옆에 있기로 결정했다는 거임? 하… 도영동은의 자극이 끝도 없다 pic.twitter.com/UrLm3GyaAZ
— 쪼짱이~ (@j0ggin) March 10, 2023
- Dong Eun: “You see, I had hoped that no one would stay by Yeon Jin’s side. Especially her husband.”
- Do Young: “Why is that so?”
- Dong Eun: “Because I think you’re Yeonjin’s glory, Mr. Ha. I want you to be Yeonjin’s ruin instead.
- Do Young: “Despite having such a plan, you weren’t very proactive. Not as aggressive as I imagined. I’m not going to leave Yeonjin.”
- Dong Eun: “Why?”
- Do Young: “I don’t know. I don’t like saying I don’t know, but I still don’t know. I’ve only just realized that I’m not going to leave Yeonjin. So, let’s meet again.”
There are two veritable choices in interpretation here. The first is that he wants to stay as Yeonjin’s husband so that he can keep running into Dong Eun as he likes her. The second is that he realized he is still attached to Yeonjin in some sort of way, or loves her just a tiny bit, after so many years married.
Netizens are divided over the two.
- “I think it’s definitely the first. If you remember what Joo Yeo Jeong said when Do Young’s divorce article came out, you can tell that Ha Do Young loved Dong Eun. Even if you note how he swallowed at the end of the scene above too.”
- “‘You weren’t very proactive.’ From that line, didn’t he totally mean to say he hoped Dong Eun would approach him proactively? It’s pretty much a confession. I think it’s totally the first option so I’m flustered at how some think it’s the second.”
- “Because he knows that she’s a woman who will never see him again after getting what she wants from him… He knows she’s a woman who will just leave suddenly to somewhere, so doesn’t it mean that he wants to try to maintain the status quo now just to continue to see her?”
On the other hand, some believed that after 10 years of marriage, he would come to have loved Yeonjin a tiny bit at the very least, making the second option more probable.
Dog Doppelgängers: Fans of “The Glory” Find Pups That Resemble The Actors
“The Glory” Actor Jung Sung Il Rocks A “Dad Bod” — But It’s Not What You Think
Hot Ahjussi Facts: 8 Things You Might Not Know About “The Glory” Actor Jung Sung Il
“The Glory” Child Actress Shoots Her First Ever Magazine Spread