Netizens criticized ENHYPEN Jay after the idol’s remarks aimed at Korea’s history.
Earlier, we reported on ENHYPEN Jay’s apology to fans after the idol dismissed Korea’s history and likened it to a short novel.
Jay made the remarks during a livestream with fellow member Sunghoon. During the livestream, Sunghoon stated he was having fun learning about Korea’s history. Jay then stated that he preferred studying world history and stated Korea’s history lacked information compared to the history of other countries.
I (like) world history. I learned a bit about Korean history at school. I like studying history, but Korean history doesn’t have much information. It feels like a short novel. I’ve studied the history of other countries, and their (history) is so long it never ends, but Korea’s (history) goes by like that.
Jay has since apologized for his remarks stating that his remarks were careless and that he shouldn’t have spoken about the topic so lightly.
Hello, this is ENHYPEN’s Jay.
Today I was shocked at the fans’ response after the livestream. No matter the reason, I sincerely apologize for making ENGENEs feel uncomfortable. My remarks about a topic as important as Korea’s history were careless and based solely on my personal impressions. This wasn’t a topic that I should have spoken on with my limited knowledge. This incident reminded me that I still have so much to learn. Although it wasn’t my intention to belittle our proud history, I feel viewers could have felt this way, and this was my wrongdoing. I am sorry. From now on, I will be more careful and study more so that I become an artist ENGENEs can be proud of. I am constantly learning so much from you guys.
Despite the idol’s apology, netizens expressed their disappointment and anger at Jay’s remarks. Many netizens pointed out that Korea’s rich history spans over two thousand years.
- “Our country’s history is so long and has so much to study… This is why it is so important to learn about Korea’s history.”
- “Our country’s historical roots run really deep! Even someone who doesn’t know much about it like me knows that much.”
- “His intentions were mean, and the substance (of his remarks) was stupid.”
- “Anyways, LOL. If thousands of years worth of history lacks information and is a short novel, then is America’s (history) a comedy skit?”
- “So this is how he spreads the group’s name. He said these things despite his member trying to hold him back.”
- “I can’t forgive him. I usually don’t care about idol controversies, and so I don’t even leave comments, but this is seriously unforgivable.”
- “Even I, a ‘real’ Korean, found Korean history class to be really hard and would ask my ancestors why they recorded so much (history). I remember drinking so much soju after tests. What is this guy even saying?”
- “I’m really disturbed ㅠㅠ. Who are you to belittle our history? ㅠㅠ.”
Korea’s history spans thousands of years. According to the Samguk Yuksa (C.E. 1231), Korea’s first kingdom Gojoseon was founded in the year 2333 BC.