NewJeans seems to be following the same trend that a lot of K-Pop groups do these days by not having any real official positions for the members.
While fans have speculated what each member’s “unofficial” position is based on what they contribute to their songs, they’re all so evenly talented that it makes sense why they don’t have any official positions such as main vocalist, main dancer, and so on.
This also means that the group doesn’t have an official visual.
And recently, a post on an online forum had netizens discussing why, exactly, it’s impossible for any one NewJeans member to be the visual of the group!
The post, titled “Seriously, isn’t the visual in NewJeans just dependent on your taste?”, brought up the fact that each member of the group is pretty in her own unique way, and that each of them likely appeal to fans just depending on their own visual taste.
For example, Minji has a sort of “innocent puppy” look that many people like, while Haerin has more of a cat-like vibe that appeals to others.
Comments on the post are in agreement with the original author, and show just how varied people’s tastes are when it comes to visuals!
- “Seriously, you can’t leave anyone out of this lineup… It’s impressive how they were able to put all these kids togetherㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “It does seem like just a difference in taste. I f*cking like the innocent puppy style so I think that Minji is the prettiest. Even in IVE, Ahn Yujin stands out the most for me”
- “But honestly, they gathered all different styles of beauties…ㅠ”
- “I agree that they are all pretty in different ways but my pick is Haerin! Rather than being charming, she’s just a beauty to me… Seriously, I’m so looking forward to her growth”
- “knetz spilled in this one you really cant have an official visual for newjeans because they all look equally pretty in their own ways but my pick is hanni such a stan attractor indeed”
- “Tbh, I’m more into people with more “””feline””” features so Haerin catched my eye instantly lol. They all have unique looks, none of them collapse!”
- “They kinda remind me of txt visual wise. Like all pretty but also distinct enough for different tastes”
- “They really are a group of visuals, no matter how you look at it. All distinct visuals as well. I think the only thing that made them look similar when they debuted was the long dark hair but if you really pay attention they all have distinct features, that you can’t really mix up.”
NewJeans’ label ADOR definitely knew what they were doing when they made the group’s line-up!