South Korea Now Offers Green Onion Flavored Cereal — And It’s Everyone’s Nightmare
Back in 2004, the cereal brand Kellogg Korea held an interesting promotional contest…
… asking its target of young Korean customers to vote for “Chex Choco World’s President”. The final candidates came down to a chocolate-flavored Chex Cheki…
If I become the president of Chex Choco World, I’ll make the chocolate Chex even more chocolatey!
… and a green onion-flavored Chex Chaka.
When I become the president of Chex Choco World, I’m going to add green onion flavor to the chocolate Chex. Pick me!
The plan had been that Kellogg would officially produce the winner — obviously predicted to be the chocolate-flavored one.
Unfortunately, this marketing act went so very wrong. The internet got involved 200% and pushed the green onion-flavored Chex Chaka to take the win!
At the time, Kellogg Korea disregarded around 40K+ votes put toward Chaka — insisting that they are invalid for being cast by ineligible methods. Shortly after, Cheki got “elected” and so Kellogg released their chocolate-flavor enhanced Chex.
A whole 16 yeas later though, on July 1, 2020, Kellogg Korea finally came clean — and released the green onion-flavored Chex, as it should have in 2004.
The commercial, featuring one of the most popular Korean trot masters Tae Jin Ah…
… apologizes for taking so long to keep the promise. Kellogg Korea also shared in the video description, that they “finally decided to listen to the customers.”
The limited-edition green onion-flavored Chex, playfully dubbed the “Result of True Democracy”, has sparked intense curiosity among Koreans. Quick hands have already grabbed a box and gave the new flavor a go…
- “Wow… I assumed it would taste like those veggie-stix type snacks. But I guess it’s actually green onion-flavored? Kellogg’s is insane, LMAO.”
- “So apparently, it’s not so bad using these like croutons in soups. I heard that’s a delicious combination.”
- “LMFAO! I actively cracked up at this.”
- “It’s not too bad if you eat it without milk… I think? I mean there are green onion flavored snacks in general. It’s like that. But once you pour it in with milk… It’s weird. It’s like not meant to be a cereal. So don’t waste your money…”
- “Why the heck would a green onion flavored cereal be any good?!”
- “This literally tastes like sh*t.”
- “LMAO, oh my goodness. This is f*cking hilarious.”
… though the overall response is more baffled than impressed. Here’s how one brave YouTuber BK described the experience — with his face:
Would you be open to trying a bowl of green onion flavored Chex cereal?
Watch another YouTuber HojuSara‘s review: