Every one of RedVelvet‘s tracks feature an intricate choreography that takes lots of energy, skill, and talent to execute – all the while living off of the hectic lifestyle of an idol.
Netizens compiled instances of Yeri‘s dances to claim that she can’t keep up with Red Velvet’s choreography.
- “She needs to go back to training and practice hard or f*cking leave the group. She’s ruining the rest of the group’s perfect choreography.”
- “Wow if you watch their performances with Yeri covered, they’re in perfect sync.”
- “I watch a lot of Red Velvet’s performances and I would always cover for her, thinking ‘It’s only because she debuted late and doesn’t know how to monitor well’… I hoped Power Up would be different but Yeri.. ㅠㅠ Please learn to keep count”
Korean netizens created gifs to emphasize the times when Yeri was off beat compared to the rest of the group.
They compared how her the flexibility and angles in her dancing compared to the others.
- “Wow look at Seulgi. Her angles are sick, but look at Yeri”
- “Delayed by one beat at a time”
They bashed her for sticking out among the group for failing to move every arm at the correct angle and timing.
- “Wow this looks serious… Does SM only make the other members practice? Why is she the only one who’s making mistakes so much?”
- “I’m a fan but I’m getting tired of this, Yeri.”
- “If you don’t want to do it, get out of the group!!!!!!!! She lacks practice so much.”
- “I didn’t notice it before but it’s really serious. All the other members look perfect besides Yeri.”
And how she misplaced her hands on Seulgi’s shoulder and later fixed her hands mid-performance.
The netizens attacked her by questioning the way she practices and trains under SM Entertainment.
- “Is it true that she practiced since she was in elementary school? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
- “Yeri just doesn’t have natural dancing skills but she doesn’t try either. That’s why she’s trained for 5 years and debuted 3~4 years ago. Even with that much experience she can’t grow. If someone else’s skills stayed the same for over 8 years in another industry, they wouldn’t get past entry-level status.”
- “Does SM not monitor her performances??? Wouldn’t they film every performance and dance practice to give her feedback?? Why isn’t she improving??”
It caused quite a discussion online as fans debate for or against the claim.
Fans defended Yeri’s performance claiming how she nailed her choreography on a regular basis and that the mistakes were anomalies.
- “Red Velvet members seem so tired”
- “Let’s cheer them on, not blame them”
- “It can be cute to make mistakes”
hhhhHHHh people out there really have to gif every single part when yeri did the dance out of sync and act LIKE THE OTHER GIRLS NEVER DID THAT well they are so petty
— 🐺 (@inabamesa) August 28, 2018
People keep saying that Yeri can’t dance and sing like her unnies. Well let me ask you this have you ever watch their dance practice video? Their breakdance? Or her covering songs? If not don’t tell us that Yerimie is not talented.
— #레드벨벳_ Sese #SummerMagic #PowerUp (@velvet_sese) August 26, 2018
Ppl attack Yeri when all she did was BREATHING. Yall complaining that she's not talented enough?? uhh have you ever seen her perform? Shes so talented, she dances so well and for singing, she doesnt even get a damn line in songs but she posted some covers and her voice is angelic pic.twitter.com/E0Wfgb0vAk
— 📌RENSUNG AU #GO_UP🌷 (@badtzu_) August 26, 2018
yeri is a great dancer with a unique style that should be known as more than just the third girl who gets added to the dance line only when it's convenient https://t.co/JvZBLLVaQY
— clau🍍 (@perfectvelvets) May 28, 2018
me: her name is yeri she's 18 and she's part of a group called red velvet and she's part of the dance line but no ones recognize that so i'm here doing this pic.twitter.com/JyOHsNdfhf
— yeri pics (@yeriarchived) February 22, 2018
They defended her against the anti-fans who criticized her for being a part of the “dance line” in the group.
— untalented yeri pics (@untalentedyeri) August 14, 2018
Its just stupid they're not even a big group whats the point in skipping two members, plus yeri is part of the dance line…
— Mari 🐨 (@Red0Mari) August 22, 2018
this one’s for the yeri antis that choose to ignore the fact that she’s literally in the dance line pic.twitter.com/tFrWNoIlBr
— emily (@hiraisyerim) August 21, 2018
Yeri is LITERALLY in the dance line… people hate on her so much that she isn't confident in her dancing anymore and as a result she's become more stiff/timid… it's the saddest thing I have ever fucking seen, fuck every single person who ever told her she wasn't good
— worm on a string (@electrapng) August 13, 2018
In fact, Yeri has proven her skills on the dance floor on a number of occasions. Like this challenge on Weekly Idol for example…
No matter the netizens’ opinions, no one can deny that Yeri was born to be the star that she is and a few compiled images cannot disprove all that skill!