Rising rookie girl NewJeans have proven themselves to be iconic since they made their surprise debut in July. Their eclectic and trendsetting style has been making headlines, but recently netizens have been questioning just how far their unique styling will go.
NewJeans’ marketing and mysterious debut have had fans captivated since the beginning. The group debuted with a strong Y2K concept, effortlessly using the aesthetic to mix nostalgic elements of the legendary era with a modern twist.
The group and their creative team have received a lot of positive reactions to their styling. Fans have noted that not only is the style trendy, but aside from earlier outfits, the group has been dressed appropriately for their age.
The members have proven that they look incredible in anything they wear, from designer fashion looks…
To sportier, youthful, and more casual outfits…
Recently, their outfits have continued to escalate in their unique styling, which has had netizens questioning if it’s still the “Y2K” style or if the look of the outfits has strayed too far.
The outfits they wore for their performance at the 2022 The Fact Music Awards caught attention, dividing netizens in their opinion on the mix of patterns and layering of their outfits.
Many fans defended the styling for being innovative and age-appropriate, while others felt it was too mismatched and didn’t do the members justice.
Recently, the members appeared at 2022 KCON Japan, where their styling again had netizens divided in their reception of the looks.
The members charmed the audience with their charisma, performance, and stunning visuals. NewJeans wore a mix of Y2K streetwear and athletic wear for the event. While some felt the look perfectly encapsulated what Y2K fashion was, others felt the group’s styling was confusingly losing its direction.
NewJeans going through that old kpop freshly debuted experimental outfit phase pic.twitter.com/jz6Nbt2HP7
— ❆ (@haeyobbi) October 15, 2022
newjeans’ stylist lost the plot pic.twitter.com/EPa0H6sHmv
— jas⁺ (@newjified) October 15, 2022
actually NewJeans are the only ones doing REAL Y2K fashion. pic.twitter.com/cPJiGe66Ev
— kki (@n3wjeans) October 15, 2022
Korean netizens also expressed their confusion with their recent styling, with some arguing they were able to pull it off because they are so young, and others wondering if they switched stylists.
- “Did they switch stylists? How come their outfits feel different from when they first debuted? I remember their outfits being a lot cuter back then.”
- “IDK, this reminds me of H.O.T. It’s cuter than I’d expected, almost. I think they’re pulling off these outfits because they’re young.”
- “But… why…?”
- “Are [the stylists] out of their minds?”
- “Are they wearing penalty costumes or something?”
- “For f*ck’s sake, stop overdoing the whole retro trend and dress them in cute stuff.”
- “Their M Countdown debut outfits were the cutest. I guess it’s all downhill from here. LOL.”
- “Is that a turkey? LMAO.”
- “These outfits look like they’ve been put together by an elementary school kid who likes really bright colors… The stylists keep overdoing it. Their music show outfits were all cute, though.”
Check out the article below for more on the group’s recent fashion: