When one hears “97-line,” they might be tempted to think of K-Pop’s famous 97-line crew. The friend group consists of most male idols born in that year, including ASTRO’s Cha Eunwoo, SEVENTEEN’s Mingyu, GOT7’s Yugyeom, NCT’s Jaehyun, and BTS’s Jungkook.
While that may be so, the term “97-line” generally refers to anyone born in a year ending with “97.” An online community recently took a poll for the most popular 97-line influencer. They posed the question of who one liked the most amongst 97-liners. Amongst the options were Cha Eunwoo, actor Yeo Jin Goo, Jungkook, and the Great King, Se Jong.
The poll took an amusing turn when the Great King won 86% of the 32,000 votes. King Se Jong was born in 1397, making him a part of the “97-line” indeed. He has been credited with many things, including the creation of Hangul, the Korean alphabet. He’s on the ₩10,000 KRW (about $7.49 USD) dollar bill in South Korea, and many buildings, foundations, even a city and a college has been named for him.
Netizens easily acknowledged the win,
- A photocard of his is ₩10,000 KRW (about $7.49 USD)
- King God Se Jong.
- King Se Jong.
- If you’re not going to vote for Se Jong oppa, don’t use Hangul.
- Who would win against Yi Do (King Se Jong’s personal name) oppa?
- There’s no one that can compare to him in Korea’s history too. I’m more fascinated that [the low] votes. God Se Jong.
- How is his name even Yi Do too?
- The strongest one amongst all universes.
We have to give it up for the Great King too!