Actor Kim Jung Hyun Says He Has “No Memories From 5 Years Ago,” Disappoints K-Drama Fans
Back in 2021, Dispatch revealed the shocking reason behind actor Kim Jung Hyun‘s inexplicable behavior toward his co-star Seohyun on the set of the 2018 K-Drama Time. Following the scandal, Kim issued apologies—both public and in person—and expressed his desire to continue acting; But he remained out of the limelight since.
As of January 27, 2023, though, Kim made his official return to the screens with the series, Kokdu: Season of Deity. And while the press conference was meant to highlight the premiere of this rom-com, Kim’s interaction with his co-star Im Soo Hyang got the inevitable attention.
The K-Drama leads showed good teamwork while posing for the press cameras. Kim, in specific, put in much more effort to be amicable—compared to his 2018 self.
When asked about his past controversies, Kim admitted that the time off gave him a chance to better himself.
Personally, I had a lot of things happen. Looking back and reflecting on what had happened, I was able to use the time to work on myself. I put together a better version of myself to present to the viewers. And while I wish the viewers would be open to watching me act again, I do know that I have to continue earning their trust back—with less talk and more action—especially if the viewers believe that there’s anything lacking in what I do.
— Kim Jung Hyun
Unfortunately, Kim’s appearance at the press conference wasn’t too well-received in Korea. When asked about his return to MBC after five years, Kim explained that he “doesn’t remember 2018 all too well” when making a point about how long it had been since he worked on a MBC production.
I don’t really have memories from five years ago. Everything feels new. I’m just grateful to be back at MBC, five whole years later, attending a press conference for a production.
— Kim Jung Hyun
And while the comment sparked different interpretations, most argued it to be “rude” to the people he disrespected during the time—even if the actor meant that he had little memories with MBC and not about the particular incident from 2018. Therefore, his response has since garnered a generally negative reaction from the K-Drama fans.
- “He has no memories…? Doesn’t sound like he’s done reflecting.”
- “It would’ve been easier if he went with ‘sorry.’ He keeps screwing himself over.”
- “He got his soul back?”
- “Not ‘I’m sorry’ but ‘I don’t remember.’ I see…”
- “He has no memories of what happened? But the people he hurt will forever remember.”
- “Who’s going to watch this? LMAO.”
- “He could’ve said he regrets what he did.”
- “I guess it’s all done and over with since he no longer remembers, huh?”
- “I hate this.”
- “The two look awkward to me, TBH.”
- “Mr. Stern! How come he still gets work? It’s not like we’re out of actors.”
- “How shameless, f*ck.”
- “He doesn’t have memories…?!”
- “I can’t believe he said he doesn’t remember… There’s no hope for this man.”
- “Typical bully behavior, though. They never remember.”
On the other hand, Kim’s more supportive fans welcomed his return. Fans believe that, as the actor himself mentioned, his time off has made him a better actor and a better person.
- “Hwaiting, Kokdu! I’m super duper thrilled to see Kim Jung Hyun back on the screens. It’s so good to see him again, thanks for coming back!”
- “I have no doubt that he grew from the past. We all make mistakes. We learn and we mature. It looks like he was nervous, but he did well. He sounded cautious and thoughtful, which made me tear up. He’s a good actor with a great voice. I wish him the best.”
- “He’s stronger now. That’s all that matters. Keep it up, hwaiting!”
Watch the full press conference here.