GOT the Beat, the seven-member project girl group of SM Entertainment comprising of members from four generations of SM girl groups, is set to make a comeback in January with a new EP.
SM idols BoA; Taeyeon and Hyoyeon of Girls’ Generation; Seulgi and Wendy of Red Velvet; and Karina and Winter of aespa are the seven members of the “supergroup” that made its debut with the single “Step Back” in January 2022. Recently, SM Entertainment announced that the group’s first EP, Stamp On It, will be released on January 16, 2023.
GOT the beat to make comeback on Jan. 16th with their first mini-album ‘Stamp On It’ and pre-release the stage on 'SMTOWN LIVE 2023' on 1/1!
— Girls On Top (@GirlsOnTop_SM) December 29, 2022
But the reaction of fans to this announcement is not completely positive on internet forums. Though “Step Back” performed well on charts both domestically and internationally, netizens expressed their confusion at the label deciding to push the project group over aespa, one of the strongest fourth-generation girl groups.
- “aespa should solidify their position now, what are they making them do instead?”
- “But aespa are rookies. What are you thinking instead of growing the rookies?”
- “They all have their separate groups, why this fuss? SM do you have a lot of time? What a waste.”
- “Shouldn’t aespa be preparing for their Japanese debut single during this time? Are they gonna do a Japan tour with a Korean album next year?”
- “Won’t aespa put out an album?”
aespa made their last comeback in July with their second mini album, Girls. The group’s member Ningning later revealed that they were supposed to have another comeback before the end of 2022, but that plan fell through for undisclosed reasons. Given that the label has not announced any new activities for the group and is instead planning a comeback for GOT The Beat has left fans perplexed and discontent.
On the other hand, there are people who said that they are looking forward to the album but hoped that the lyrics would be better this time. Though “Step Back” was well-received for its fun beat, its lyrics were highly criticized for being outright catfight-y.
- “This time the lyrics, please ㅜㅜㅜㅜ Don’t bring in so many groups together to do ‘silly girl’ ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ”
- “Just make sure the lyrics are okay. That’s all.”
- “Just do something about the lyrics.”
- “Please better lyrics this time ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ”
Check out GOT The Beat’s debut MV for “Step Back” below: